I will be going to USA for a 5 year assignment. I am likely to return to India after 5 years. I have existing substantial Equity MF portfolio (held through Demat route) and add substantial amounts every month as SIP in those funds. - I will be going to USA for a 5 year assignment. I am likely to return to India after 5 years. I have existing substantial Equity MF portfolio (held through Demat route) and add substantial amounts every month as SIP in those funds. - Ask the Expert - Fee Only Investment Advisers

Our teams advise on matters related to NRI Taxation, Financial Planning or Personal Tax, if you have any questions,
feel free to ask by clicking on below login buttons
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

I will be going to USA for a 5 year assignment. I am likely to return to India after 5 years. I have existing substantial Equity MF portfolio (held through Demat route) and add substantial amounts every month as SIP in those funds.

My increased income in US project means I can further increase the SIP amounts even higher. I am aware of the PFIC rule. Can I avail of any of the following options to overcome the rigours of PFIC?

• Stop all existing SIPs
    • Gift Existing Units to Mother (Indian Citizen resident in India)
    • Gift monthly amounts to her from the USA
    • Mother uses the monthly gifts to start SIPs in the same funds
    • Mother will gift units back to Son when he returns to India
    • He will be the sole nominee for all the mutual fund folios invested by his mother
  • No apparent tax issues at Indian end
  • Issues under Benami properties Act
  • Prime facie no issues at US end either unless mother expires
  • Legal issues if Mother refuses to gift back when required by son
  • If mother dies before gifting back then other heirs may create an issue if no Will exists
  • Possible inheritance tax in USA (depending on the amount) if the son is still a US tax resident at the time of his mother’s death